English Tuition – Home Schooling
There’s a lot to take in with the English curriculum, especially when students begin to study several texts simultaneously. If your child is learning a variety of different subjects at home textbooks can begin to blur into one another. We can save you from any worry that you’ll muddle ‘Noughts and Crosses’ with noughts and crosses…
At all Key Stages, our English experts support home-schooling; teaching engaging, personalised lessons in line with the national curriculum. We help develop literacy skills in early-learners and encourage reading for pleasure in students of all ages. With the exploration & creation of a variety of texts and storytelling devices we make reading and writing a fun, enjoyable activity, building and developing analytical and composition skills.
From students who require extra encouragement to those who are particularly gifted in English we employ a range of strategies and resources to increase confidence and facilitate the best possible progress. At Key Stages 4 and beyond we employ our in-depth knowledge of the exam syllabus to ensure students have the right skills and knowledge to succeed.
Across all age groups, creating confident, enthusiastic learners is our aim. For an overview of just some of the areas in which our tutors share their subject expertise, at each key stage, please follow the links below.
Key Areas for EYFS
- Communication – Listening, Speaking and Understanding
- Literacy – Reading and Writing (physical & sensory learning, recognising marks observed and made)
Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 overview of strands:
- Talking and Listening
Key Stage 3 progress aims:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
Popular exam specifications for English GCSE:
Our tutors also have an in-depth knowledge of the IGCSE offered by several exam boards.
At Key Stage 5 the demands increase steeply. Again we support students in tackling content and developing their skills to meet the challenges of A Level.
Popular exam specifications for English Language and English Literature at A Level:
Good to know… Everyone has their own way of learning, so our tutors ensure that the pace, content and style of each session fits your child’s needs.